Installing on macOS¶
Install the CLI¶
Installing the CLI through means other than PyPI or source are currently unsupported. Work is ongoing to make this process smoother.
- Install Python 3 (Version 3.4 or higher) for macOS.
- In a terminal, run
pip3 install pros-cli
Install the toolchain¶
If you have homebrew installed (recommended method):
1. In a terminal, run
brew tap osx-cross/arm, then
brew install arm-gcc-bin.
If you have previously used an installer to install PROS, you may be faced with an error that lists a set of conflicting files. In this case, run
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/pros-toolchain && rm -f /usr/local/bin/arm-none-eabi-* && brew link to remove existing symbolic links and replace them with the correct ones.
If you do not have homebrew installed (advanced):
- Download the latest version of the GNU Arm Embedded toolchain for macOS
- Double click on the downloaded file to extract it.
- Copy the contents of the
gcc-arm-none-eabi-X-20XX-qX-update(where the Xs are numbers specific to the version you downloaded) to a folder, such as
- There are two ways to link the binaries:
- Simply run
ln -s /usr/local/lib/pros-toolchain/bin/* /usr/local/bin
- Alternatively run
mkdir -p /usr/local/bin/pros-toolchain && ln -s /usr/local/lib/pros-toolchain/bin/* /usr/local/bin/pros-toolchain, and then add
/usr/local/bin/pros-toolchainto the end of your
/etc/pathsfile. This option has the advantage of making upgrades and uninstalls easier.
- Simply run
Install the editor¶
The current version of the PROS Editor is out of date, so we recommend installing the PROS Atom package manually for now.
- Install the latest version of Atom for macOS.
- Open Atom, then open the settings page (
- Navigate to the
Installtab, then search for “pros”, and install the first package in the list.
- If you would like autocomplete functionality, you will also need to install the Xcode command line tools if they are not already installed. In a terminal, run
xcode-select --installand follow the prompts. You may need to restart Atom after this process is finished.
- Minimum OS version: 10.8
- Minimum Python Version: 3.4
- Downloading code to the cortex must be done through the programming kit. You cannot download code through a direct tether.
- Using the installer on our GitHub releases page is currently unsupported, due to issues with the CLI and the PROS Editor.